Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Rustic Rolls

If I could only keep one bread recipe, this would be it.  Just in case something happens to Macheesmo's Rustic Roll site, I'm documenting it here.

Makes 16 Rolls
I made these, last night.  I'm mixing another batch, tonight.
2 1/6 c water (I used whey from leftover yogurt.)
1/3 tsp yeast (I used 1/2 tsp)
2 c bread flour (I used a.p.)
2 c whole wheat flour
2 tsp Kosher salt (I used 1 tsp table.)

Mix up ingredients, but don't knead.  Cover and leave on the counter overnight, 12 to 18 hours.  Dust top with flour.  Dump onto a baking sheet generously dusted with cornmeal or semolina.  Sprinkle with flour and shape into a square.  Let rise another 2 hours.  Cut into 16 rolls.  The original recipe says to bake at 500F for 35 to 40 minutes.  I think these were only in the oven for 15-18 minutes.  Transfer to a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment